We all know that it’s critical to secure your front door securely, since this is the most frequent method for criminals to get inside your home. The majority of people also understand that the best approach to do this is to hire a Residential locksmith who can install strong and dependable Standard locks. However, the majority of consumers will be unaware that their carefully-constructed Letterbox might represent a security risk.
What is letterbox burglary?
A letterbox burglary is a form of forced entry in which a burglar uses the front door’s letterbox to either break into a home or steal vehicle keys left outside the house. They’ll either reach through the letterbox and try to unlock the door from the inside, or they’ll use a fishing rod with a hook on the end to ‘fish’ for keys that have been left lying around. Both of these approaches could be quite efficient in obtaining access to your home or taking your car fast and silently. This type of thief doesn’t need to know how to pick or break a lock.
Ways To Prevent Letterbox Burglary
- Keys or car keys should never be left in view. This is particularly important if your doorway has glass panels. Even if your door appears to be totally secure, you should inspect it from the outside to see what a potential thief could notice. Any keys or wallets visible from this vantage point should be moved and secured elsewhere.
- Replace your existing letterbox with one that includes a draught excluder. The soft nylon bristles that run around the gap’s edge help in two ways. They do two things: one, they keep the warmth in and the cold out, and second, they deter potential robbers from seeing through the gap and into your home.
- Purchase and install an anti-burglar letterbox. The most recent types of anti-vandal, anti-snap letterboxes have undergone extensive testing to ensure that they meet the most stringent security requirements.
- A letterbox restrictor should be installed. These simple but effective devices are simple to install and work by limiting the amount of opening of the inner flap. Hands or rods cannot be pushed or maneuvered through your letterbox as a result of this.
- Remove your letterbox entirely and replace it with an exterior mailbox. Because of the expense, this will not be practical for most people, but it may be worth considering if you are going to replace your front door soon.
Burglars, unfortunately, are continuously looking for new and simple ways to get access to your home. It’s critical to stay on top of all aspects of your home security to avoid being harmed as a result of their next shady scheme.
Matrix Locksmith Toronto is a well-known Toronto locksmith. Please contact me or call me at 416-877-9297 if you have any lock issues or problems.